Listen to this week’s episode of the Eternal Health Podcast with Laura:
I had the pleasure of interviewing world-renowned medical and nutritional doctor, Joel Fuhrman MD about his new book ‘Fast Food Genocide’ for the Eternal Health podcast this week. He advocates following a ‘Nutritarian Diet’ for great health and I have enjoyed his past books ‘Eat To Live’ and ‘The End of Dieting’ especially, so it was wonderful to do this enlightening interview with him. As an aside, I really like his thick native-New Yorker accent too!
I hope you listen attentively to the very important things he has to say on diet and health that are affecting us all and how we can make some great improvements with our own health, our loved ones’ health and the health of society around us.
About Fast Food Genocide
Twenty-five years in the making, Fast Food Genocide draws on Dr. Fuhrman’s extensive clinical experience and research into the science of nutrition to show how our addiction to fast food and processed food is the source of a national health crisis—one that has tragic implications for society.
Dr. Fuhrman lays out the science showing that fast foods are destructive, not just to a person’s health, but also to his or her intelligence and propensity for learning, and emotional well-being. This kind of junk food is also a contributor to the epidemic of drug addiction. He shows that food availability and cost are major factors when it comes to perpetuating poverty and racism.
But there is hope. A nutrient-dense, healthful diet can save lives and enable humans to reach their intellectual potential, and achieve a successful and fulfilling life. Dr. Fuhrman offers a life-changing, scientifically sound approach, along with menu plans and recipes that can alter American history, and perhaps save your life in the process.
The status quo is systematically destroying the lives and health of our generation and can even get worse for future generations. This Fast Food Genocide must be stopped.
The tragedy of dangerous ‘Frankenfoods’ falls disproportionately on the poor in urban ‘food deserts’, with lack of access to supermarket produce further contributing to poverty, drug addiction and crime. The solution is in sight; join the fight to restore the modern-day desire for good health for all, which can only happen with a food-aware populace and proper food access.
Who is Dr Joel Fuhrman?
Joel Fuhrman, M.D. is a board-certified family physician, six-time New York Times best-selling author and internationally recognized expert on nutrition and natural healing, who specializes in preventing and reversing disease through nutritional methods. Dr. Fuhrman coined the term “Nutritarian” to describe his eating style, which is built around a diet of nutrient-dense, plant-rich foods. To date, he has sold more than three million books. Among his most recent books are ‘Eat to Live Quick and Easy Cookbook’ and ‘Fast Food Genocide’.
For over 25 years, Dr. Fuhrman has shown that it is possible to achieve sustainable weight loss and reverse heart disease, diabetes and many other illnesses using smart nutrition. In his medical practice, and through his books and television specials, he continues to bring this life-saving message to hundreds of thousands of people around the world.
Through his medical practice, as well as his New York Times best-selling books and PBS specials, Dr. Fuhrman has helped thousands of people lose weight permanently and reverse chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune diseases and chronic pain syndromes, including migraines, using a nutrient-dense, plant-rich eating style that he calls the Nutritarian diet. He is the President of the Nutritional Research Foundation, and is a frequent guest on The Dr. Oz Show, for which he serves on the medical advisory board.
Dr. Fuhrman is also a health and fitness enthusiast, whose athletic background gives him a keen insight into the importance of diet and physical exercise. Before graduating from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, he was a world-class figure skater who placed third in the 1976 World Professional Pairs Skating Championship.
Dr. Fuhrman devotes his life to nutritional research, staying up-to-date on the thousands of articles published in scientific journals, and working with nutritional researchers around the world. His expertise includes 25 years of experience caring for more than 10,000 patients with serious medical conditions and in most cases facilitating their recovery via nutritional methods. His books have no preconceived philosophy, agenda or bias; they are an uncompromising assessment that offers the gold standard of nutritional excellence to foster the greatest potential for disease prevention, reversal and extending human lifespan.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode:
- Why fast food and processed food are destructive influences on our society.
- How fast food affects our health, intelligence and propensity for violence.
- How fast food causes diseases like heart attacks, strokes, cancer, obesity and more.
- The problems caused by ‘food deserts’ How a nutrient-dense, healthful diet can help us reach our intellectual and physical potential.
- How fast food and processed foods reduce intelligence, derail school performance, cause depression, and increase propensity for violence and crime.
- How fast food and processed lead to food addiction, and the properties of foods that increase their addictive potential leads to excessive caloric intake.
- How highly addictive junk food acts as a gateway drug to illegal drug abuse.
- What to do to combat the devastating effects of fast food.
Links & resources mentioned:
- Optimum Health Scorecard
- Dr Fuhrman’s website: https://www.drfuhrman.com/
- Nutritarian Food Pyramid (printable PDF document)
- Dr Fuhrman’s research projects: https://www.nutritionalresearch.org/
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comments section below.
- Ask a question via my Contact page.
- Send me a voice message.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave a positive review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes or download via a podcasting app on your phone.
Thanks for listening!
Catch you next time on Eternal Health,